Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Spring holidays 2017, part 3

We spent half the day at the beach and then the rest exploring Myall Lakes National Park. We saw lots of plants, but as I haven't had the time to check many identifications I will only post two. They are nice ones though:


Actinotus helianthi (Apiaceae) is the famous flannel-flower. The petaloid bracts around the flower-heads are felt-like, thus the English name. Many people wrongly believe it to be a member of the daisy family, but it belongs to the family of parsley and fennel.


The second one makes me very happy indeed. I had heard of the flying duck orchid (Caleana major, Orchidaceae) and seen photos, but now I have seen it in the flesh, as it were. Surely one of the weirdest-looking orchids on a continent that has many weird-looking ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment