Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter at Guerilla Bay

Happy pagan fertility festival everybody!

Over the Easter weekend, we were very generously invited to a colleague's holiday home on Guerilla Bay. The weather was absolutely perfect, and we had a great time.


Guerilla Bay itself. The surf was fantastic, but admittedly I did not make much use of it myself because I have a cold.


A rock arch in the bay; I just love the weird shapes produced by erosion on the Australian coasts.


My and a colleague's daughter floating pumice in a bucket. The beach was covered in the material. I was told that a volcano had erupted under the ocean near New Zealand a few weeks ago, and that the rocks had drifted ashore ever since.


There were few native plants still in flower at the coast, but on the way there I photographed this specimen of the paper daisy Coronidium scorpioides. Actually, it may have a different name now because the species group it belongs to has just been revised by Neville Walsh of the Royal Botanic Garden in Melbourne, but I do not have a copy of the manuscript at home so I cannot check...

No comments:

Post a Comment